Crash payouts still in limbo

People inspect damage on a tourist bus in Svay Rieng province earlier this year after it was involved in a deadly crash that claimed 18 lives and injured 20 others. Vireak Mai

Mom Kunthear, The Phnom Penh Post
Tue, 27 October 2015

The families of victims killed or injured by a deadly road accident in Svay Rieng province in May are accusing the bus company involved of not paying out the court-ordered compensation in full.

On May 20, a tourist bus from the 15 SH Bus Company tried to overtake a car on National Road 6, colliding with a minivan in the other lane carrying 39 garment workers.

The minivan’s driver was killed along with 18 other workers, while another 20 were injured.

Earlier this month, the Svay Rieng Provincial Court ordered 15 SH to compensate the families of the dead in the amount of 12 million riel (about $3,000) each, along with 6 million to 10 million riel (about $1,500 to $2,500) for each injured person. It also sentenced the driver of the bus to five years in jail.

However, Pich Toeuk, the 50-year-old mother of two daughters in the minivan, one of whom died and another who was injured, said the company had not agreed to pay out the funds in full.

“The company agreed to pay only $50,000 for all victims, dead and injured, but we did not accept it. It is very little for our childrens’ lives,” she said.

“I will sue at the Appeal Court for compensation for my 24-year-old who died and 17-year-old who was injured.”

(more…)

Posted on: October 27, 2015 4:41 pm